HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SECTION 504 PROGRAM
What should you look for when choosing a Section 504 program? What kinds of features should a good program have? There are a lot of factors to consider when attempting to choose the right software for your district or county. We want to make the search a little less overwhelming and more straightforward. Here are a few questions to ask when looking for the right kind of software:
- Does the program assist the user in preparing a compliant 504 plan?
- Can you customize user permissions to best fit your situation?
- Is there a platform for sending notifications to appropriate users?
- Is the program user-friendly?
- Are you able to use custom forms that specifically pertain to you?
- Does the program have the ability to interface with your other education programs?
- Can you generate reports quickly and easily?
- Are there training resources?
- Is the program developer willing and able to modify the program for you in a timely and satisfactory manner?
- Is the cost reasonable compared to similar programs?
Keep these key points in mind, and your search for the right program will become much simpler.
- A format wherein 504 administrators and site coordinators can create and update Section 504 plans
- Adherence to timelines for initial evaluations and periodic re-evaluations
- Tracking of students by status, using reports and online plan progression
- Maximized data integrity and minimized data redundancy
- Program and form updates that are immediately received by every end-user
- A way to foster good communication within the 504 team
- An environment for providing consistent information in order to keep all parties up to date
- Email notifications to teachers, both pre-504 meeting and post-504 meeting
- Feedback input for teachers
- Professional-looking printing
- Online history
- Access to administrative features, reports, and all student data for district- and higher-level administrators
- Access to students at specific schools for users with limited privileges
- Management of user access through group-based permissions
- View-only access option
- Demo system for prospective customers to explore the program (contact us for login information)
- Training system to provide a way for new users to become accustomed to the program
- Video tutorials to help users become familiar with Web504 at their own pace
- High levels of security, protecting sensitive information of students and users
- Centralized storage, which is easier to physically secure than local computers
- Encryption for all information traveling between the Web504 server and users' computers
- Tracking of login attempts, actual logins, students accessed, and actions performed
- Complex password requirement
- Lockout after a pre-defined number of incorrect login attempts
- Lockout past administrator-set account expiration date